With football season in full swing, this honey soy glazed wings recipe is the perfect meal to whip up for a tailgate or simply just watching the game at home.
- 3 pounds chicken wings
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Shaoxing wine (or Japanese sake)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl.
- Add chicken wings into a large ziplock bag. Pour in the marinade. Massage the bag to evenly disperse the marinade. Let marinate for at least 2 hours, or in the fridge overnight.
- To cook on the grill
- Light one chimney full of charcoal. When the charcoal at the top of the chimney is lit, put on heat resistant gloves, and pour the charcoal over one-half of the coal grate to create a moderate two-zone fire.
- Set the cooking grate in place, cover the grill, and preheat for 5 minutes. Clean the cooking grate.
- Arrange wings over direct fire. You’ll probably need to cook in two batches. Cook until both sides turn golden. Flip twice and rearrange the wings if necessary. Move wings to indirect heat. Cook until cooked through.
- Brush a thin layer of honey over both sides of each wing. Return wings to direct heat. Cook briefly so that chicken skin caramelizes. Transfer to a serving tray immediately. Continue to cook the remaining batch.
- Serve warm as appetizer or snack.