Freda's Kitchen's Indian expert, Yuga Iyer, loves to make this light, delicious, dish for her children on weekends. Give your kids a fun taste of India with her recipe.
Dosa Batter- Makes 20 dosas
- Parboiled rice - 1 cup
- Split black gram lentil (urad Dal) - 1/2 cup
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Rice flakes - 2 tablespoons.
- Salt - to taste
- Soak rice and urad dal in separate vessels for 6 -8 hours
- Wash rice 2-3 times till water runs clear. Soak rice in 3 cups of water along with the Rice Flakes.
- In a separate vessel take the Urad dal. Wash it only once and soak it in 11/2 cups of water . Add the fenugreek seeds to it.
- Grind rice and urad dal separately
- Drain the rice and rice flakes , do not throw the water, add the rice into blender and blend to a smooth paste adding water little by little (the water in which you have soaked the rice). Remove the ground rice paste/water in a large vessel.
- Drain the urad dal and fenugreek seeds. do not throw the water. add the soaked dal to the blender and blend to a smooth paste adding water little by little. Remove the ground dal paste and pour it in the rice paste.
- Add water little by little and mix the two pastes together. Add salt to taste.
- Leave the batter in a warm place like an oven with the light on to ferment over night /8 hours.
- You will see the batter rise. It does not need to ferment a lot but just enough to make the dosas light and soft.
- The dosa batter is now ready
Potato filling- good for 8 dosas
- Potatoes - 4
- Oil - 2tbsp
- Curry leaves -4
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- cumin -1/4 tsp
- yellow gram dal -1/2 tablespoon
- Black split dal -1/2 tablespoon
- Garlic-2 cloves
- Ginger - 1 inch
- Onion - 1/2
- Curry powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric -1/4 tsp
- Serrano pepper - 1 (depends on how spicy it is )
- Salt to taste
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Cilantro- finely chopped leaves -2 tblspn
- lime - 1/2
- Boil potatoes with skin on. They should be well cooked. Let them cool down. Peel and chop potatoes in medium size squares
- Thinly slice onions. finely chop garlic, ginger and Serrano pepper.
- heat oil in a wok, add mustard seeds, curry leaves, cumin, Serrano peppers. They should splutter, sauté them slightly, add the yellow gram dal and the black split dal. They should be nice and toasted in oil, careful not to burn them. They should be orange in color
- Add ginger garlic, keep sautéing
- Add onion, pinch of salt and sauté till its soft and transparent
- Add turmeric, chopped potatoes, mix and sauté
- Add curry powder and mix well. Add salt and sugar.
- Lower the flame and Put the lid and let it steam and cook further for 5-7 mins.
- Once all spices are cooked garnish with cilantro and squeeze half a lime.