Looking for a delicious way to warm up your belly this winter? Try Mimi's delicious lemongrass soup. This recipe calls for shrimp, but you can add any protein you prefer. You can get the ingredients at your local Asian market.
- 4 cups of water
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 slices fresh galangal root (smashed)
- 3 fresh kaffir lime leaf
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste, with or without seeds
- 1 tbsp fish sauce.
- 3/4 lb shrimps, medium to large size, shelled and de-veined;
- 12 fresh Thai chili
- 1/2 small white onion, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 tbsp chili paste with soya bean oil
- 1 (16 oz.) white mushroom
- 1 small ripe tomato, cut into wedges 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small lime, squeezed
- 2 sprigs fresh cilantro
- Bring water to boil over high heat in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Add the lemon grass, galangal, kaffir lime leaf, fish sauce and tamarind paste (break apart the tamarind paste with your fingers as you add it).
- Add the shrimp, bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes.
- Add the onion, chili paste with soya bean oil and white mushrooms.
- Boil for another 7 minutes until the shrimp is cooked through.
- Add the chili and tomatoes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the lime juice.
- Taste to adjust the seasoning, adding fish sauce to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro, and serve hot.